Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Friday, April 29, 2011

John 21:1-14 Allowing The Lord To Reveal Himself

John 21:1-14 Allowing The Lord To Reveal Himself
(Click here for readings)

This morning I woke up at 4:00 am to drive a priest to the airport. I was not a happy camper. Some how I had volunteered to do so and near the end I was happy I did it. It is amazing how the Lord reveals himself in the cloud of unknowing. On my way back home, I was thinking about what I would say at Ursuline Academy's Senior Farewell Mass. As soon as I began to focus on that I heard something very disturbing on the radio. It turned out that one of the victims from the horrible tornadoes that ripped through Alabama was a twenty-two year old young lady that had graduated from Ursuline back in 2007. She was a Senior and was living off campus. The news hit me very hard. Before the announcer even mentioned the word Ursuline, I knew she was from Ursuline. How did I know? I have no idea except that it came from above. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Just a few minutes ago I was complaining about driving so early in the morning and then all of a sudden I hear this! Now I knew exactly why I had to be on the road...so that I could hear this! I needed to mention this in my homily. I needed to guide my words towards this. I needed to say something about this tragic loss to the young ladies at Ursuline, "One of our graduates has graduated from this life to eternal life."

We speak so much about success. What is success? What does it mean to be successful? Dear moms and dads, I want to tell you what it means to be successful: It means that your child has made it safe and sound to Heaven. This is true success: to be a Saint; to gain the world without losing your soul. We should not measure or keep track of anything else for nothing else matters. Life is a gift, and should be lived as a gift. Everlasting life is a treasure given from above but discovered in the depths of our souls.

Today's readings remind us of the two great mysteries: life and death. The Apostles can do nothing of worth on their own - not even catch a fish, and with gentleness the Lord reminds them that with him, they can do the impossible. Two names stand out above the rest: Peter and Thomas. Both men are present and mentioned by name. Interesting. After all, Peter denied the Lord three times and Thomas did not believe in his resurrection. And yet, both are there. Both are present. Both are in need of guidance and mercy. Who gives it to them but the one who suffered for them. "The stone rejected by the builders has become the cornerstone." (Ps. 118:22)

This is our history too. We tend to lock ourselves up in our own little world (room), just like the Apostles did, and only later do we come to realize that there is someone missing - the Lord. Ah yes, the Lord will not allow any barriers to get in his way. He will reveal himself, one way or another, and not allow any of his sheep to wander too far off. This is a good Shepherd. This is a good Father and Mother. Who are we kidding! This is a God who loves! This is a God who always reveals himself. It is time for us to grow up and get ready for graduation.

1 comment:

  1. I just walked in from a healing conference where it was suggested we make a list of the lies we have believed. At the top of my list was that I will never be successful at anything, but I’m always striving for it, like being on a treadmill.

    Reading this made me think that all these trials, the setbacks, the disappointments, the failures in life are what will determine my eternal destiny. Maybe it doesn’t matter if I ever find ‘success’ here. This whole life is like boot camp or spring training. We are constantly challenged to persevere, to push past the pain and keep our eyes on the goal, heaven, eternity with Love Himself.

    God is like a coach, he pushes us to be our best, and when we reach a goal he sets a new one and cheers as we move closer to Him.

    He is like a father with his hands outstretched toward us, saying come on you can do it as he walks backwards urging us to keep moving toward Him.

    I may never find success here on earth, and instead of spending so much time trying to find it here, I need to put my effort into eternal success. What good is a lot of money, a big house, fancy cars and all the ‘stuff’ going to do me in hell?

    God has revealed Himself and He has made the goal clear. He gives me each step as I need it, not too much in advance and when I misstep, he lifts me up and places me back on track.

    When I look at the purpose for all the trials, suffering, lessons, etc.., here on earth, sometimes I can actually accept it with a joyful expectation. (that joyful thing is VERY new)

    Thank you Father for the reminder of what true success is. I guess I’ll have to revise my list before tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.